Tuesday, February 28, 2006

8 Reasons Yahoo Mobile Doesn't Suck

It seems like tensions are high in my old group over at Yahoo Mobile. Lest anyone think that my experience there was all clueless people* and bad meetings** I will list some great things about my good friends at yahoo mobile.***
  1. Yahoo Mobile is better than Google Mobile.
    There’s a recurring meme that yahoo copies google. This is true in some cases, but in mobile yahoo is the clear leader. Y’s mobile search is better. Mail is about the same except Yahoo built it 6 years earlier. Google doesn’t even have games, ringtones (which are hateful but popular), photo upload, or IM.

  2. Yahoo gets the international thing.
    The internet is for everyone. The mobile internet is especially important for people who couldn’t get access to certain information any other way. Prime example: Yahoo India kicks ass and takes names.

  3. Yahoo Mobile has great air hockey talent.
    And what’s more important than air hockey?

  4. Good Looking.
    This doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things product-wise, but the men and women of yahoo mobile are pretty good looking.

  5. They get things done.
    Other yahoos used to release-fatigue because we launched new products so often. I think we launched 12 while I was there.

  6. The almost never sue former employees.
    Seriously, it was just that one time. They were super nice when I departed to start my own thing.

  7. They give you free coffee.
    Say you’re a former employee hanging out in sunnyvale between client meetings. The Yahoo Mobile team can always be counted on to sign you into the building and give you a free latte.

  8. They have a great sense of humor.
    They don’t get mad when former employees poke fun at them on a blog.

* They were the most clueful group I’ve worked with.
** But they did have too many meetings.
*** Yes, I’m a yahoo shill.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

and that, my friends, is why i continue to be a grubb fan! :)

11:26 PM, March 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding #4, it is true. I don't know if many other firms can claim having The Internet Guy on staff.

4:35 PM, March 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home