Thursday, June 29, 2006

8 Songs about California

I picked my vacation. As expected, Southern California won based on its proximity, ease of travel, and list of people to visit. I'm going to rent a car and cruise around, so-cal style. Agenda items include meeting up with some friends for a movie or something, maybe going to Santa Barbara for a party, and going down to San Diego. And maybe I'll sneak into the Yahoo office using one of my old business cards and a convincing story.

Who wants to hang out? What should I do down there?

Here is a list of my favorite songs about California, all of which I will listen to in my rental car. Add suggestions in the comments.
  1. "California Stars" by Wilco & Woodie Guthrie
  2. "California" by Rufus Wainright
  3. "Piazza, New York Catcher" by Belle & Sebastian
  4. "California Dreamin" by The Mommas & The Papas
  5. "California" by Joni Mitchell
  6. "California Uber Alles" by The Dead Kennedys
  7. "Californication" by The Red Hot Chili Peppers
  8. "California Girls" by The Beach Boys
And here are some specifically about LA:
  1. "Drinking in LA" by Bran Van 3000
  2. "L.A" by Elliot Smith
  3. "April 29, 1992" by Sublime
  4. "Born in East LA" by Cheech Marin
And some facts I learned while researching this post:
  1. There are at least 90 songs called "California"
  2. Wikipedia has a list of songs about California
  3. Wikipedia also has a list of lists of songs

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's that song... "Nobody walks in LA" ??

12:00 PM, July 06, 2006  
Blogger misocrazy said...

Did you enjoy your L.A. trip? I was just there as well. All my girlfriends down there are pretty. (I hope that doesn't mean I'm turning ugly up here.) Also, you should try the Decemberists' song, "Los Angeles, I'm Yours." It's on the Yahoo! Music Engine if you have that.

7:36 PM, July 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Walking in L.A."- Missing Persons; it's a must-have.

11:36 AM, July 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For your next trip: To me California Love by 2Pac is the ultimate California pride song. Even if you don't like hip hop it rules!

I'm so giddy I got to add an entry to the song Wikipedia -- Catalina by the Descendents. You'd have to be into punk to like it but it's a great hearbreak song.

7:24 AM, August 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home