Saturday, April 29, 2006

Valleyschwag Boinged


Halfway through the sorting and packing last week I was still having my doubts about Valleyschwag, but when we had the burlap stenciling and tied up with twine I realized that this might be the nicest packaging that most of our subscribers had ever received. I looked at it and realized that I would actually pay the subscription price to be on the list, even as I was packing the stuff myself.

Apparently some bloggers also like the packaging, and the whole experience, because Valleyschwag got blogged a lot last week. Especially important were: Scott Beale - schwag contributor and man-about-town, whose post was picked up by BoingBoing, which some of you may be familiar with. Plus venture-capitalist and blogger David Hornik lent us some legitimacy outside the freakshow circuit.

Needless to say, this resulted in more than a few new subscribers over the last few days. So all your corporate types and venture-backed startups out there, time to empty out your closets and send us ALL YOUR SHIRTS. God knows we need them. The people need them.

So, returning to my standard list format, here are 8 pieces of schwag I'd like to see in a valleyschwag package. (Note that most of these don't exist yet.)
  1. Consumating
    Secret decoder rings that can be exchanged on first dates. I'm not sure exactly what they would do, but it would kick ass.

  2. Flickr
    LED's and tiny laser pens to encourage more lightpainting.

  3. EFF
    Those super-hot SWAT team EFF hats.

  4. Mule Design
    Anything.

  5. Valleywag
    Tiny cameras and audio recorders to spy on our employers.

  6. Upcoming.org
    Blackboard t-shirts and chalk, so we can make a custom shirt for every event we attend.

  7. MySpace
    Reversible shirts with myspace logo on one side and nothing on the other side, so we can turn them inside out and deny that we have a myspace account.

  8. Laughing Squid
    One live squid.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nick Douglas said...

Vallyewag was actually Gawker's first name for the site. Then we decided Valleywag made a lot more sense.

10:38 AM, April 30, 2006  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Thanks for that rich morsel of Valleywag history, Ncik.

10:43 AM, May 01, 2006  
Blogger Nick Douglas said...

I'm just bitter that I'm not getting kickbacks.

1:40 PM, May 02, 2006  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Oh, no problem, we can give you some kickbacks. Of course, then you wouldn't be bitter anymore, and Vallywag would suffer. I don't know if I want to be the one to poison the well of Nick's bitterness...

2:04 PM, May 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home